More than my two front teeth
Nat King Cole's rendition of "All I want for Christmas Is my Two Front Teeth" was one of my favorite tunes of the holiday season growing up. Honestly I don't care if you get anything for me or not. Life as it is and will be are the only gifts I need (grammar, ugh). I am being utterly serious when I state that. Life is, without reservations, damn good to me right now. But at the request of one best friend, Erin, I am providing my own partial litany of Christmas desires to aid ye thoughtful gift-shoppers. But please implement your creativity because it may yield better ideas than what I spoon feed here.
1) If it's from the heart, it doesn't matter what it is. If it's from someone I love I will be sure to love it. Especially homemade stuff!
2) Noise cancelling earbud (for portability) headphones for ipod.
3) Kinokuniya stationary--I need to restock to maintain correspondence from South Africa
4) Cash money is always welcome, of course.
5) Fancy hosiery
6) Jumper dress
7) Music by following artists--don't worry about buying redundant albums. If I have something from the artists listed I have noted as such.
- The Jam, The Style Council, or Paul Weller. Already own: In the City, This is the Modern World, All Mod Cons, Sound Affects, Live Jam, Beat Surrender (compiliation), My Ever-Changing Moods(a.k.a.. Cafe Bleu[UK]), Internationalists(a.k.a. Our Favourite Shop [UK]), Confessions of a Pop Group, Heavy Soul, Days of Speed, Illumination.
- Lou Rawls (esp. at Capitol Records). Already own: Soulin', Carryin' On!, Sit Down and Talk to Me
- Billy Stewart
- Eartha Kitt
- Letta Mbulu
- Miriam Makeba
- Hugh Masekela (esp. one with the track Stimela)
- Gil-Scott Heron
- David Axelrod
- Tom Waits
- Aaron Copeland
- Lalo Schiffrin. Already own: Whole Lalo Schiffrin Goin' On, Music from Mission: Impossible. I would espcially like the Bullitt and The Cincinatti Kid soundtracks.
- Elmer Bernstein. Top choice: The Magnificent Seven
- Bernard Hermann. Already own: Vertigo
- Music from The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
- Joanna Newsom
- Of Montreal
- Teddy Pendergrass. Already own: TP
- The Small Faces
- Spencer Davis Group
- Marlena Shaw
- Giles Peterson compilations
- The Good, The Bad, and the Queen
- Love Travels at Illegal Speeds-Graham Coxon
- A Bit of Fry & Laurie: Seasons 1 & 2
- Freaks and Geeks: The Complete Series
- Arrested Development: Season 3
- The Office (BBC Version) : The entire series
- Talk To Her
- Bad Education
- Hiroshima, Mon Amour (The Criterion Collection)
- In The Mood for Love
- Skirt Power
- Live Forever (Britpop documentary)
- Amandla!: A Revolution in Four Part Harmony
- In The Heat of the Night
- Jeeves and Wooster
- Casanova (David Tennant, NOT Heath Ledger please)
- Black Adder
- Umberto D. (The Criterion Collection)
- L'Aventura (The Criterion Collection)
- Anything by Stuart Hall
- Imagined Communities by Benedict Anderson
- On Beauty by Zadie Smith
- The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
- Biko by Donald Woods
- Photography books by Peter Magubane
- Native Speaker by Chang-Rae Lee
- Gish Jen
- Nadine Gordimer
- My Life in the Bush of Ghosts by Amos Tutuola
- Hopes and Impediments by Chinua Achebe
- Status Anxiety by Alain DeBotton
- P.G. Wodehouse
- Britpop!: Cool Britannia and the Spectacular Demise of English Rock by John Harris
- Any available back issues of Chimurenga
- Dogeaters by Jessica Hagedorn
Although for Damon Albarn, it would appear that those teeth are all he really wants. Shocking!
Note: To see the segment that explains the above statement, you have to ff to 21:45 or so.