PopCornucopia

PopCornucopia is all about free associative pop culture tidbits as they strike my fancy, just like kernels of corn exploding into fullness at a random and unpredictable pace. And of course, the cornucopia is the horn of plenty.

Monday, November 20, 2006

More than my two front teeth


Nat King Cole's rendition of "All I want for Christmas Is my Two Front Teeth" was one of my favorite tunes of the holiday season growing up. Honestly I don't care if you get anything for me or not. Life as it is and will be are the only gifts I need (grammar, ugh). I am being utterly serious when I state that. Life is, without reservations, damn good to me right now. But at the request of one best friend, Erin, I am providing my own partial litany of Christmas desires to aid ye thoughtful gift-shoppers. But please implement your creativity because it may yield better ideas than what I spoon feed here.

1) If it's from the heart, it doesn't matter what it is. If it's from someone I love I will be sure to love it. Especially homemade stuff!

2) Noise cancelling earbud (for portability) headphones for ipod.

3) Kinokuniya stationary--I need to restock to maintain correspondence from South Africa

4) Cash money is always welcome, of course.

5) Fancy hosiery

6) Jumper dress

7) Music by following artists--don't worry about buying redundant albums. If I have something from the artists listed I have noted as such.
  • The Jam, The Style Council, or Paul Weller. Already own: In the City, This is the Modern World, All Mod Cons, Sound Affects, Live Jam, Beat Surrender (compiliation), My Ever-Changing Moods(a.k.a.. Cafe Bleu[UK]), Internationalists(a.k.a. Our Favourite Shop [UK]), Confessions of a Pop Group, Heavy Soul, Days of Speed, Illumination.
  • Lou Rawls (esp. at Capitol Records). Already own: Soulin', Carryin' On!, Sit Down and Talk to Me
  • Billy Stewart
  • Eartha Kitt
  • Letta Mbulu
  • Miriam Makeba
  • Hugh Masekela (esp. one with the track Stimela)
  • Gil-Scott Heron
  • David Axelrod
  • Tom Waits
  • Aaron Copeland
  • Lalo Schiffrin. Already own: Whole Lalo Schiffrin Goin' On, Music from Mission: Impossible. I would espcially like the Bullitt and The Cincinatti Kid soundtracks.
  • Elmer Bernstein. Top choice: The Magnificent Seven
  • Bernard Hermann. Already own: Vertigo
  • Music from The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
  • Joanna Newsom
  • Of Montreal
  • O'Jays
  • MFSB
  • Teddy Pendergrass. Already own: TP
  • The Small Faces
  • Spencer Davis Group
  • Marlena Shaw
  • Giles Peterson compilations
  • The Good, The Bad, and the Queen
  • Love Travels at Illegal Speeds-Graham Coxon

8) DVD's
  • A Bit of Fry & Laurie: Seasons 1 & 2
  • Freaks and Geeks: The Complete Series
  • Arrested Development: Season 3
  • The Office (BBC Version) : The entire series
  • Talk To Her
  • Bad Education
  • Hiroshima, Mon Amour (The Criterion Collection)
  • In The Mood for Love
  • Skirt Power
  • Live Forever (Britpop documentary)
  • Amandla!: A Revolution in Four Part Harmony
  • In The Heat of the Night
  • Jeeves and Wooster
  • Casanova (David Tennant, NOT Heath Ledger please)
  • Black Adder
  • Umberto D. (The Criterion Collection)
  • L'Aventura (The Criterion Collection)
9) Books
  • Anything by Stuart Hall
  • Imagined Communities by Benedict Anderson
  • On Beauty by Zadie Smith
  • The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
  • Biko by Donald Woods
  • Photography books by Peter Magubane
  • Native Speaker by Chang-Rae Lee
  • Gish Jen
  • Nadine Gordimer
  • My Life in the Bush of Ghosts by Amos Tutuola
  • Hopes and Impediments by Chinua Achebe
  • Status Anxiety by Alain DeBotton
  • P.G. Wodehouse
  • Britpop!: Cool Britannia and the Spectacular Demise of English Rock by John Harris
  • Any available back issues of Chimurenga
  • Dogeaters by Jessica Hagedorn
10) A better world. Can you tell I'm feelling warm and fuzzy?


Although for Damon Albarn, it would appear that those teeth are all he really wants. Shocking!

Note: To see the segment that explains the above statement, you have to ff to 21:45 or so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home