PopCornucopia

PopCornucopia is all about free associative pop culture tidbits as they strike my fancy, just like kernels of corn exploding into fullness at a random and unpredictable pace. And of course, the cornucopia is the horn of plenty.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Tiaras aren't just for beauty queens

In the past two weeks my wine consumption must have increased by at least fivefold (seeing as I rarely drink). Not only was this due to my cousin Tak and Deanna's wedding, but last night my wine-loving friend Sophia brought over a nice bottle of South African wine to honor my forthcoming trip. Consulting my dog-eared Cape Town guidebook from the San Francisco Public Library, we educated ourselves on a bit of background concerning the origin of the wine we were about to enjoy.

And I felt it was my duty to pass on the word about the wine that was imbibed on evening last. It has been a while since I got tipsy on something just because it was that pleasant on the throat. The wine was a 1997 Simonsig Tiara (a red wine blend). Which probably means nothing to you unless you are interested in hunting out a bottle for yourself. But I wouldn't mention it if it were not highly recommended.

Albeit I know nothing about wine, but this one smelled nice, tasted great, went down super smooth, and induced a nice, lulling, non-irritating inebriation. And mom, who drinks even less than I do was not averse to partaking.


A picture of the 1997 vintage was not available from the Simonsig website, so this will have to do.



Certainly, last night's experience was enough to convince me that a trip along the Stellenbosch wine route will be on my mandatory to-do list in Cape Town and surrounding areas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home