PopCornucopia

PopCornucopia is all about free associative pop culture tidbits as they strike my fancy, just like kernels of corn exploding into fullness at a random and unpredictable pace. And of course, the cornucopia is the horn of plenty.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

BritPopCornucopia #1: Kick Horns o' plenty

I have decided to start a series on this blog that features Britpop and its sources, tributaries, and distributaries. It is not meant to be an update on news of the britpop world so much as it is a place to feature little funny observations and factoids about a musical genre that I love. It is also a genre that I have outgrown a little too, but I assure you, the love remains steadfast.

Given that many britpop ditties feature horns or were influenced by horn-using musical acts, and that britpop has a wealth of interesting stuff you can say about it...I think that just about explains it.

Well, this first entry in this series pays tribute to a great ensemble:

THE KICK HORNS



Ah, the legendary Kick Horns. Not only have they worked with Britpop forefathers like the Rolling Stones and The Who, but most essentially in my opnion, collaborated with Blur on their studio albums to great effect during the creative triumvirate, the "Life Trilogy"--an output of three albums (Modern Life is Rubbish, Parklife, and The Great Escape) that were to set the standard of the britpop aesthetic.

I was lucky enough to catch this kick-ass brass ensemble at the 606 club in London. My, what a treat. It was one of many Blur related pilgrimages I made while there, and I will share some of those other pilgrimages in later posts, perhaps. But I highly encourage anyone going to London the check out a gig at this particular establishment.

A well known jazz club, 606 is an extremely intimate space, and the entry is not readily apparent. In fact, you have to find the entrance and then ring a doorbell to get in. They buzz you inside and you go down a stairwell into a warm cavernous space. There's a kitchen where they serve food and when I was there the audience was a nice mix of the moderately cool looking people, young and old.

Joined by my friend Hilary, we sat at a table for two and soaked up the blast from trumpets and saxes. They did everything from classic improvisational jazz stuff to a heady dose of their famous ska-inflected sound. And that sound so familar to me from listening to the "Life Trilogy" countless times came through much to my enjoyment. Check out their incredible list of collaborators in the full discography.

*Please note that the picture does not feature all of the personnel that have played as a kick horn.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home