PopCornucopia

PopCornucopia is all about free associative pop culture tidbits as they strike my fancy, just like kernels of corn exploding into fullness at a random and unpredictable pace. And of course, the cornucopia is the horn of plenty.

Saturday, March 14, 2009

I want to be a different kind of Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar today

Did you ever wonder where the twang of the sitar came from on the Fugees "Killing me softly"? It's from the Rotary Connection:






I stumbled upon this when I was listening to some Letta Mbulu (which I'll probably post on later) because one of the YT comments said she sounded "like a South African Rotary Connection." As you dear readers know, I was a Rotary Scholar to South Africa, so this popped out at me. At first I googled "South African Rotary Connection" but then realized quickly that the group being alluded to was simply Rotary Connection.

I was surprised to learn that the son of Chess records' founder, Marshall Chess and Minnie "Loving You" Riperton were major players on this project. How cool is that? Here's Ms. Riperton in all her greatness (P.S. How effing ridic is that guy plucking the acoustic in the background?):



To top it off, I leave you with another great slice of this semi-obscure collective, a Stevie Wonder-composed/produced gem(just ignore the rather boring visuals and sonically soak it all in):

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home