PopCornucopia

PopCornucopia is all about free associative pop culture tidbits as they strike my fancy, just like kernels of corn exploding into fullness at a random and unpredictable pace. And of course, the cornucopia is the horn of plenty.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Nor-Cal to North Sea #2: D-Double D-Dutch!

Last year, enjoying the fact that Dutch TV also broadcasts BBC 1 and 2, I stumbled across Jump Nation on the children's programming roster. It fondly reminded me of my first exposure to double dutch on Sesame Street:



The athleticism, the simplicity, the intricacy! Avid jump roper of my youth wished I could join a double dutch team. Plus, mixed gender participation!

Though I did not see it in action while I was in the Netherlands, according to some, it was brought from there to New Amsterdam by the Dutch. How did it diffuse to inner city communities?

Later I realized how double dutch has been integral to hip hop culture, and beyond. Most notably with Frankie Smith's Double Dutch Bus:



You may also recognize it from Missy Elliott's Gossip Folks sample.

Recently, I've also been addicted to DJ Fresh's Gold Dust which showcases the wonderful world of double dutch:




Runnin and you runnin and you runnin and you runnin away boy, you keep...

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 7:16 AM, Blogger Dylan Valley said…

    This is fascinating... Always wondered where that sample was from and what the hell they were saying in that Missy Track. Is this also where the whole "izzle" phenomenon started?
    Dylizzle

     

Post a Comment

<< Home