PopCornucopia

PopCornucopia is all about free associative pop culture tidbits as they strike my fancy, just like kernels of corn exploding into fullness at a random and unpredictable pace. And of course, the cornucopia is the horn of plenty.

Thursday, May 07, 2009

All the Idol bloggers are playing Elvis Costello

Allison Iraheta. The most badass powerhouse La-teen-a-queen to ever grace the Idol stage. And she left the show after delivering this number with her rockin' cohort in crime:


The unbridled sense of fun, the stage chemistry, the matching haircuts...It was the triumph of the fruitfly-girl and her gay boyfriend! I almost couldn't handle the fierceness. It was like the emos and punketos not only made peace in Districto Federal, but they decided to have a musical love child. Then, they decided to bust it loose and throw the child one huge muthafucken birthday paaaartay. All in just 90 secs, folks.

The week before she did this:



So why is she gone? Oh my gaaaahd. Dude. Maaaaan. It's so crazy.

She is so zany and unrehearsed in her interviews. I love what she represents for girlhood. Mouthy, gravelly-voiced-disarming stage presence, unabashedly 100% herself, lovable but never needing to stoop to cutesiness to endear her to you, strong and emotional all at once, teen star-to-be without all the dubious backstage coaching. Also, not stick thin, radiant with healthy glow, and proud of what her mama gave her. She stood up for herself in a crowd of boys, and doesn't need a boyfriend. Girl said it herself, "I'm too young..." I hope she retains all these qualities as her career progresses.

Here's her exit interview. For those of you who don't watch the show, I apologize in advance for simultaneously subjecting you to the horrors of Jillian Barbiedoll Reynolds:



Here's part two



Oh the injustice, when this performance somehow kept this dude around instead. I keep trying to like him, but he unflinchingly managed to butcher Aerosmith even more than they butcher themselves. In the wise words of Ms. Iraheta, "At least I'm not cutting myself!" Sometimes the American electorate is smart (like when the GOP is at a dismal 22% approval rating),but others times, not so much. There goes the last POC on the show.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 9:29 AM, Blogger chilekat said…

    The fact that you keep trying to like Gokey is earning you tons of chits in whatever your version of heaven (or the void state we go to after death) looks like. I gave in to the Gokey hate long ago since my ticket to hell has been punched since about 1977. And I'm wholly agreed that Allison getting voted off is just inconceivable and the melanin/estrogen deficiency in the top 3 is disturbing. But the show's been pushing for a Gokey/Adam final two from the jump as some epic battle between light and dark so I'm sure Simon Fuller and Co. are pleased. (Although I'd bet that their pick for the "light" in that equation is not the same as mine) I have confidence that in this, the year of Obama, Americans will continue to do the right thing and hand Adam the AI crown.

     
  • At 4:13 PM, Blogger chilekat said…

    So as AI heads off into the sunset for another year, just wanted to say that I'm very happy that you found my little blog, and happier that I found yours. In addition to AI, I can come here and read about yummy SF food or British fashion and music or find out about the latest brouhaha in global hip hop - all of which are very cool things indeed. And if you do decide to dip your toe into SYTYCD (as you should because it is fabulous on a whole nother level than AI) then you should definitely drop in as I plan to dish on all things dance and spare no one. It's my way. And I'll definitely be looking forward to your next post about 2 minute old wannabe superstar girl rappers and hoping that you are planning to see that movie Precious with Mo'nique in it so that I can hear your thoughts. chilekat, out.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home