PopCornucopia

PopCornucopia is all about free associative pop culture tidbits as they strike my fancy, just like kernels of corn exploding into fullness at a random and unpredictable pace. And of course, the cornucopia is the horn of plenty.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Pinoy Piggy

Thank you Simone for introducing me to Anthony Bourdain and his show No Reservations. This ep makes my tummy crave some eats of my heritage:





Watch the whole thing (there's five parts). Seriously, Filipino food is massively underrated . All the uninformed are sorely missing out. Why is it always left in the dust by other Asian cuisines? That question is still a struggle. While I think that it was actually a sort of droll ep compared to some others I've seen, I found it interesting that the issue of identity kept coming up with the guy who had initially put in such a fervent campaign for the Philippines to be included on the show. I completely understand some of the things he feels. I mean, I have never been to the Philippines as much as I've criss-crossed the globe, and the family connections are so compelling to me. But guess what, at the end of the show I discovered Augusto and his wife produced a China-pino/Filinese baby, just like moi!

Trimuphantly, lechon is now considered numero uno pork by Bourdain.

Ooooh I want lechon. Yesterday I was talking with my grandma and dad about it. My dad said that before they slaughter the pig, they make it guzzle vinegar. I guess the process was too violent to show on the telly. He fondly remembers the times in Stockton where all the old timers would get together to make lechon. It is near impossible to make it that way anymore without the wide open country spaces. Not only does the pig squeal like crazy but the smoke from all the charcoal and the real estate required to cook a whole hog is a tall order. My dad complains that the whole pigs from Chinatown don't even hold a candle to the lechon-done-right he remembers from childhood.

For more check out this excellent food blog on flippin' good food. This other great blog is written by one of the guides in the ep.

I want to go to the Philippines now. But until then, looks like South City will have to do. Oh yeah, I also recently hit up this nice Filipino bakery in Pacifica with my mom. After grabbing some treats (adobo buns and bibinca), we sat cliffside watching the surfers in the distance as the wind whipped against our faces.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home