PopCornucopia

PopCornucopia is all about free associative pop culture tidbits as they strike my fancy, just like kernels of corn exploding into fullness at a random and unpredictable pace. And of course, the cornucopia is the horn of plenty.

Sunday, November 08, 2009

Hurts so bad: it feels good

This is totally my jam right now:



Did you know that Little Anthony and the Imperials were just inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame just this year?

This song packs so much into just over two minutes. It reminds me of the fabulous economy of pop songs in those days. Amazing how it builds up into the crescendo towards the chorus and really soars. These guys were (and still are) great performers. Can you believe they're still going? And they look like they barely aged!

Of course, their music is permeates later generations. It's been covered countless times. Teedra Moses (who I will perhaps post further on) is one of the unsung R & B singer/songwriters out there, and her homage to Little Anthony and co. is damn crunk:



People, I command you to ride the Moses soul train!

Here's the original flavor for reference:



Can't get L.A. & the I's outta my head! Day and night. Wrong or right.

Update: Please check out a fab cover(kinda eerie-feelin') version of Going Out of My Head that was just posted on Soul Sides, a great music blog I like to follow. It's the second track, and the preceding one is worth a listen anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home