PopCornucopia

PopCornucopia is all about free associative pop culture tidbits as they strike my fancy, just like kernels of corn exploding into fullness at a random and unpredictable pace. And of course, the cornucopia is the horn of plenty.

Sunday, September 06, 2009

SJW and SWV

I have been grooving to a nice little cover of SWV's "Weak" by Gretchen Parlato. To listen go here. It's apparently arranged by Robert Glasper, who I am really digging right now too.

I heard Parlato perform the cover live this summer at one of the shows at the SJW Festival (i.e. Stanford Jazz Workshop, my former employer). Pianist Taylor Eigsti introduced the song, asking the mostly middle aged + kids-too-young-to-remember-the-golden-age-of-early-90's-girl-groups audience if they had heard of the SWV song, and there was no recognition whatsoever :( I was raising my hand in the back with devil horns to no effect.

But at any rate, they rocked this cover, and it has been seared in my brain. My connection to the song goes back some 17 years ago, one of the very first cassette singles I ever bought. I also have sweet memories of driving from Cape Town to Hout Bay with Jon David on the Fourth of July, singing along to SWV on the radio. JD told me about his dad's secretary who was a rabid SWV fan.

We're takin' you back to the old school:

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home