PopCornucopia

PopCornucopia is all about free associative pop culture tidbits as they strike my fancy, just like kernels of corn exploding into fullness at a random and unpredictable pace. And of course, the cornucopia is the horn of plenty.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Will the real Roald Amundsen please stand up?

Yes, people. I am get getting suckered into American Idol more than ever. It's his fault:



Last night he kicked ass. Michael Slezak, Entertainment Weekly's AI "expert", and the only Idol pundit really worth following, also pointed out that Anoop's sly implementation of the word "impetus" on America's #1 rated TV show was a coup for all us vocabulary-starved word fiends. I was a little excited about Ramiele last season, but my enthusiasm for Anoop Desai has gone way beyond that (see previous entries).

Let's be honest though, Idol isn't all about singing, it's largely about image. And I'd like to talk a little about the styling. I am surprised that in the commentary I've combed, with so much well-deserved derision dished out about Danny Gokey's jacket, nobody noticed that Anoop already wore almost the exact the same jacket last week, in a less blinding shade of camo green. According to InStyle online, Anoop's is from H & M, while the official AI website indicates Danny's is from Macy's . But they are just too alike with the popped collar, four large square front pockets, and the epaulets. Stylists, don't think you can get away with a recycle like that!

Mod

or

"God"?

C'mon he sang "Jesus Take the Wheel"

Simon was hilarious when he said to Gokey, "it looks like you're going on a polar expedition*" I was ROFL. Gokey admitted on the telecast that even scarf-swaddled (ugh) Matt "Justin Timberfake" Giraud was perceptive enough to point out to him that he looked like he was ready to pull a parachute ripcord. Amazing how color choice and the person wearing something can make such a huge difference.

As one comment from this site says, "I totally agree about Danny's clothes. Unless you're an angel choir, I'm not sure anyone should ever sing about Jesus while wearing white. It's creepy. And that jacket made me afraid he was suddenly going to do this:

The White Jacket of Glory"

Haha.

As much as I like the Michael McDonaldy sound from Danny Gokey, his attempts at "style" with his ever-changing spectacles (I'd like to see him try a monocle!), along with insufferable pelvic thrustings are wearing me thin. I feel for him and the loss of his wife, but the evangelist streak rubs me the wrong way. I think I was duped into rooting for him in the earlier rounds because I liked his friend Jamar, who faintly reminded me of a soulful, quirkier Pharrell. It's harder to pull for him now, and the Gokester made matters worse for me trying to rip off part of Anoop's look this week. There should've been an Us Weekly-esque "Who wore it best?" And I think you know who would win the poll.

I recall in an interview with Wes Anderson, Robert Evans said (I'm paraphrasing here) that if multiple people only notice a single item you're wearing that such a compliment must be dismissed (the exact quotation is at 31:20). If more than one person pointed out that they liked his tie, for example, he said he would throw it out the next day. Why? They are only noticing that item rather than YOU (in all your totality) looking good. Interesting. In other words, your personality is what should shine through and the rest is mere background. Just as an idol's song choice can mean that either they own the song or the song owns them, the same can be said of any fashion choice.

I think that Idol's stylists are hardly inventive. Not that I believe for a second that they are trying to be. As one "Idolatry" commentator quips, it just looks like Adam Lambert shops at Hot Topic. Alexis Grace can't seem to wear anything but black ( I guess it was a symbolic death knell which lead to her elimination this week), and Allison (though I love her spitfire ways) bathes in red and red alone.

Also, why do the stylists continue to ply horrible screen print graphics on ALL the male contestants? Like, is that supposed to be rock n' roll or chic? I personally feel those meaningless screen print cotton basics don't do anyone favors. They always look like some adolescent boy's binder artwork or something that should be slapped on the bottom of a skateboard deck. Even Anoop, who could make some natty choices (he seems to be okay playing with color, especially some vibrant blues, and could certainly work the height to his advantage in sartorial matters), fell prey to the awful graphic print on a couple of polo shirts. We all know that even when a stylist offers you choices, you ultimately make the call. As such, the contestants do bear some responsibility too. What a shame that no one really impresses with their fashion sense so far. Please Idol men, you can say NO to the needless graphic print embellishment.

Also, did anyone else find the idea of the idols being in the hot tub together a bit unsavory? At least the way Lil' Rounds described it...Looks like the Village Voice agrees.


*Note: Simon must be into Norway or something. Last night he alluded to polar expeditions, and the greatest explorer of the polar regions was Norwegian. Second, in reference to the evening's first performer, Michael Sarver and his garbled Garth Brooks gobbledygook, Cowell remarked, "You could have been singing in Norwegian."

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home