PopCornucopia

PopCornucopia is all about free associative pop culture tidbits as they strike my fancy, just like kernels of corn exploding into fullness at a random and unpredictable pace. And of course, the cornucopia is the horn of plenty.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Gervais's butt

I love me some Ricky Gervais. I haven't seen the stand-up that he's pimping in this HuffPo article, but I thought the interview was a short, sweet example of why I am usually a fan of Gervais's brand of comedy. Here's an excerpt:

"Targets aren't disability, famine, race. They're actually people's prejudice. And me. I'm the biggest butt of the joke because I'm in the wrong. So, it always comes down to me being totally out of touch, or saying the wrong thing -- with their blessing....But they know that it's coming from a good place, and I think that's the important thing with comedy. Comedy is about empathy."

In relation to my recent Teddy Pendergrass post, we have on the comments section of the article another instance of ability coming to the fore of engaging with prejudice and performance. Score one point for contact theory and how it improves comedy.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home